Friday, January 25, 2013

Popeye Soup

My sister Annette is one of my hero's when it come to being healthy.  She has always eaten well and exercised and taken good care of herself.  She made this incredible book up for me a few years ago that has charts and healthy ideas that I am using now that I am finally on my road to health.
One of her recipes is a "Popeye Soup".  This is a fresh, raw soup that has spinach, cucumber, avocado  red pepper, green onions and it is spiced so it almost tastes like a fresh guacamole.
I have to tell you a funny story about this soup...we had a sister week-end a few years back in Texas.  Annette, Val, Debi and I.  We took turns cooking for each other and Annette made this soup.  The rest of us had not had raw greens like that in our systems for a while, so we all got pretty sick to our stomachs...come to think of it, we were probably all detoxing and that is why we were sick.  Val had bad gas and they made me, the baby sister sleep in the one room with her!  Annette and Debi were crawling down the hall to come scare us, and they couldn't make it all the way into the room because of the thick air in there:).  Thanks guys!  The next day we were driving to the airport and I was in the back seat with Debi.  She got sick to her stomach and "lost" the green soup in her bag.  Instead of helping her I was screaming at Cheree, who was in the front with Val to trade places with me so I didn't have to sit by Deb when she was sick...so sorry Deb...I love ya!
I didn't dare eat the soup for a few years after that experience because I associated it with a sick tummy, but when I tried again, I was hooked!  I actually did a cleanse with the soup and had energy, stamina and felt great.  Thank you Netski


2 comments:

  1. Kath, I think I need the recipe and how to do a cleanse with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just take one avocado
    1 chopped green onion
    1/4 cup chopped red pepper
    one cucumber chunked ( half of one if large)
    juice of 1/2 lime
    two big hand-fuls of spinach
    add a bit of sea salt, lots of fresh cracked black pepper and I like putting ceyanne or red pepper flakes to give it a kick...add enough water to blend well.

    Some times I will add some chopped tomato after blended, or some chopped cilantro or parsley.

    I ate this for breakfast, lunch and dinner with lots of water to drink for 5 days.

    If I am feeling bloated or ate a lot of crap, I will do this for one to two days...

    ReplyDelete